Sunday, January 28, 2024

Band Sawing Mounting Flange Blanks

 I made the original mounting flanges from 1-1/2" x 3/16" mild steel bar stock.  The only cuts I made were the angled cut at each end.

I'm cutting 4 flanges from the piece of 1/4" x 6" x 6" stainless plate I bought from McMaster.  This means I also have to make at least 1 cut 3-3/8" long on the long side.  

The sawn sides get smoothed up on the belt sander with an 80 grit belt.

Once the sides are smooth and 1-1/2" apart the end cuts are made and cleaned up on the belt sander.  I find it much harder to score a line on the stainless then mild steel or Normalized 4130.


I'm also finding the cut speed is about 4 to 4-1/2 minutes for the long cut.  That seems about the same as when I cut 3/16" 4130.

The bad news is the blade goes dead in 8-10" of cutting.  I still have plenty of 1/4" coil stock to make blades but that's more time and money.  I need to find some 1/4" x 1-1/2" bar stock.  McMaster has some 1/2" long life blade stock but it's about $250 for 50 feet.

The next step was to center punch the holes.

Unfortunately my 3/16" duplicating punch is dull.  We'll order some more tomorrow, maybe not from McMaster.



No comments:

Post a Comment