Friday, May 17, 2013

Exhaust Manifold Form Tools

 I bought 3 different size hitch balls 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16".  I also bought a hitch bar to use as a handle while pounding.  I assume I will need at least a glove to hold the handle while pounding, just to cushion the ringing through it.  I've put some washers under the nut to bring it level with the end of the ball shaft so when I pound on it the blows will be taken through the shaft and the nut.  We'll see how that works.

Along with the balls I went to the hardware store and got a large (1") bolt to shape for forming the square inlet end.  It's at the top of the picture.  Unfortunately the head is not large enough.  Fortunately the hardware store has bolts up to 2" diameter.  I'll get a different one.

I flattened 2 sides of the ball, with the belt sander, to make it oval.  I needed to make it narrow enough to fit in the form block, allowing for the thickness of the steel.  Then I smoothed it to round out any sharp edges like the flat on the top.  With some added filing and rubbing with Scotch-Brite it should work very well.  I'll do the same with the other balls as I figure out which ones are needed.  If I were working aluminum I would have gotten rid of the text completely and polished it.  It's smooth enough for working the steel.

No comments:

Post a Comment