Thursday, May 16, 2013

Learning To Form The Manifold Shell

I started with the idea that I would form the shells by starting at the inlets and working to the outlet.  The problem is you develop a wrinkle you can't easily pound down.

I thought, well lets just anneal the steel.  That works great with aluminum where all you have to do is get it to the proper temperature and it's annealed.  Not so with steel.  You need to get it  to the correct temperature and then hold it there for a while and very slowly, like overnight, cool it down.  OK, I can't do that.
I next tried the wood forming tools and rivet gun I used to make the make the elevator horns for the WACO NINE.  It worked to a point but there was not enough energy to form the metal deep enough.  The one thing I learned was to start with the bend at the intersection and then work up the inlet tubes.  That solved the wrinkle problem.
OK, If I need more energy clearly I need a bigger hammer and something to pound on which can take some serious pounding.  I rounded the ends of one of my dollies which fit the inlet tube.  Just beat the snot out of it and it works.  The problem is there is no way to hold it while pounding.
It worked, so now I just need a better tool to pound on.  My plan is to go to Lowe's and get some trailer hitch balls to shape a little.  We'll see how that works.


Before doing that I also made a steel form block to square up the inlet.  It worked great.  I just need to get the metal drawn deeper before squaring it up.

I've bashed up enough small pieces that I think I know how to do this once I make some new tools.

My next effort will be to use a full piece of steel.  I went to BMG metals in Richmond and bought a sheet, 4' x 8', of 20 gauge 1008 steel.  I also picked up a new pair of snips to cut the steel.  They're made for this type of cut up to 20 gauge steel.  Design wise they work better than my large snips.  The handles are just too short for 20 gauge steel.  I suppose if I use them enough I'll develop a mean grip.  I think I'll just use my big snips and save these for lighter metals.  I'll cut this chunk into 4 pieces on Caleb's shear at the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment