Tuesday, May 21, 2013

First Exhaust Manifold Shell Formed

 To control the depth of the forming I made some gauges from a heavy card stock.  It was easier to cut them from the card stock than steel.  They worked well so I'll probably make more permanent ones from my usual galvanized steel.
I made them so when the depth is correct they set flat on the plywood.

 There is about 1/2" to go to get it deep enough here.  To form the steel this deep I bought a 6 lb. sledge hammer.  The hammer I was using is only 3 lb.  I looked at even bigger hammers but I couldn't control them with one hand.  I also cut off the handle to the same length as the 3 lb. hammer and smoothed the face on the belt sander.  It had deep machining rings on the face.  The 3 lb. hammer works great for light smoothing hits.

With a little work the pipe is now deep enough.

 I did all the forming with the 1 7/8" ball.  I have an idea how to do this with the 2 5/16 ball  I just need to rework it along the lines of what I did with the 1 7/8" ball.  I also need to improve the shape slightly.

It still needs some planishing to smooth it and I tore the steel in the corners of the inlets.  I think I know how to solve these problems on the next one.  This one will go into the recycling bin.

 You have to look close to see it but I set the blank template under the formed part to see where I need to alter the template.  I'll experiment with some small changes on the next one like adding a little steel in the inside curve at the outlet end.  The forward inlet inlet pulled the steel in a way that jammed on the form, so I'll trim it at an angle to allow for this.

No comments:

Post a Comment