Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Exhaust Manifolds Finished

 The finished Manifolds look like what I expected the original would have been.  I used the Rust-Oleum 2000 degree primer and black paint for the bottom, around the flanges, the inlets and inside the outlet.   I thought this would let me get better rust prevention along the seams and other areas which would be hard to cover well with the stove black.   For the Top Surfaces I used the stove black because it seems easier to freshen up in service than paint.  After flying just rub a little Stove Black on the shell.  I believe the originals were finished with the stove black.  Let's face it 2000 degree paint probably didn't exist 100 years ago.

 I tried both the Imperial Stove Polish Liquid Black and the William's Stove Polish.  They both contain carbon and graphite so the look is the same and the coverage seems the same.  The William's is more of a paste and I think it will work better for touch up in service.  The Imperial is a liquid so it was easier to apply, though a little messier.
So that the look would be the same on the top and bottom I lightly wiped the bottom with it also.  Because of the graphite, the finish has a slight metallic sheen.

I like it.

You'll notice one naked manifold hanging there.  I started to prime it and realized I hadn't finished welding it.  I think the rain stopped me and I missed it the next day.  I'll finish it the next nice day.

This has been a long process but they came out great.  It's really exciting to see them done.

1 comment:

  1. You did good job here, it looks awesome and I would love to see more of your work. Do share your work with us, thanks for this post though.